Workshop with your Band
Escola de Bateria
Workshop with your band
J P Courtney is known in the UK, Europe and Brazil as an exceptional talent not only in playing brazilian percussion but also as educator and musical director.
He is regularly called on to teach existing groups and is proud of the high level of standard he achieves with all levels of ability.
Great knowledge along with the ability to understand the various ways in which students learn plus his outstanding good sense of humour make J P Courtney a formidable name in percussion tuition.
Sessions can be taken over evenings, full or half days or weekends.
Feedback from previous workshops
Absolutely loved the workshop weekend with JP and Mika. Workshop format works really well, a lot of content covered in a short space of time. Delivered in a fun but challenging way. Especially like learning songs (or trying to!) along with the rhythms. We'd love to have you both back in the future !
Gaynor (SambaYaBamba, Glasgow)
I really enjoyed the workshop, from the start it was great fun, and JP made the task of learning easy to understand. :-)
Loved it. Lots of great tuition, good pace and great content.
JP's style of teaching makes learning Samba accessible to anyone. He creates a great ensemble throughout the day but also finds a way to make sure people get some individual attention whilst playing as part of the Bateria. Id highly recommend attending a workshop from J P
The sessions will be tailored to the groups needs and can include these elements.
- Arrangements of traditional and modern Brazilian Carnival music.
- Instrumental technique and Rhythms for Caixa, Repique, Repique mor, Surdo 1 2 3, Tamborim, Agogo, Chocalho, Timbau
- Instrument tuning
- Formation of the group in various situations including parading or on stage.
- Tips on directing and how to run a group in the Brazilian style.
- Learning how to make musical arrangments for your Bateria.
- How to construct a set list and what would work well for your audience
- How to add vocals and stringed instruments like Cavaquinho to your group.
- How to arrange groups of varying sizes e.g what kind of instruments to use and how the group should form up